Discover the largest Whaling Museum in the world, dedicated to the global interaction of humans and whales. Located in the heart of a National Historic Park, the museum complex features five magnificent whale-skeletons, a walk-on 1/2 scale ship model of the bark Lagoda and 15 galleries devoted to maritime art, history and science.
Explore the region's centuries-old relationship with the sea and the many people who contributed to its dynamic past and diverse present. Once the whaling capital of the world, New Bedford is now America's #1 commercial fishing port.
Learn how the pursuit of whales was essential to the economy of a young nation. Learn about immigration as an American maritime presence was projected around the world. See how science today is helping to protect these magnificent marine animals.
- 5 complete whale skeletons
- World's largest ship model
- 15 galleries devoted to maritime art, history and science
- Over 90,000 people through the Museum doors each year
- Curriculum based programs for K-12